From the romantic attraction of Paris to the plush rainforests of Costa Rica, greater than 330,000 American college students studied abroad within the 2016-17 faculty yr, in step with facts from the Institute of International Education. While most people opted for Europe, other popular locations protected Asia and Latin America – and 46 students even braved the icescape of Antarctica, per IIE statistics. Various look at overseas options exists, such as partnership programs with a student’s home university, host companies, language schools, and international exchanges. Here’s a observation of the top 10 examine overseas locations for U.S. College students and the pinnacle university in each country, per the U.S. News Best Global Universities rankings.
I’d like to look at the potential for U.S. College students to study abroad in Cyprus and discuss the relevance of college students and Study Abroad Advisors exploring Cyprus as an applicable and meaningful study overseas vacation spot.
First of all, let’s have a look at those perceived limitations to observe abroad in Cyprus.
1. Few Americans understand tons approximately Cyprus.
– so what? Let’s research!
– maximum that does realize about Cyprus, like it
– Cyprus is a cutting-edge, thriving EU (European Union) the USA and should be known via Americans
2. Because the primary language in Cyprus is Greek, many American college students and Study Abroad Advisors may incorrectly count on that except students are fluent in Modern Greek language, they would not be capable of looking at a Cypriot organization of higher schooling.
– sure, the legit language of Cyprus is Greek, but the maximum of the population is multi-lingual, and English is normally spoken as a 2nd language
– the University of Nicosia uses English because of the reliable language (count on in the School of Education) of training and administration
– non-Greek speak to me students can without problems navigate the university, the network, and journey in the course of Cyprus in English simplest
3. There are only a few faculties and universities in Cyprus
– until 2008, there has been only one (1) university in Cyprus
– in 2008, 4 non-public schools in which provided university-level status with the aid of the Ministry of Education
– The University of Nicosia was set up over 25 years in the U.S. Higher education structure and functions academically and administratively parallel to maximum U.S. Universities.
Four. Cypriot establishments have now not promoted themselves to the American examine abroad marketplace.
– until 2004, whilst the University of Nicosia (formerly Intercollege) advanced Global Learning Semesters as an agency to function the global marketing and U.S. Scholar help for Intercollege, there has been very little promoting of Cypriot higher education to the U.S. University scholar market
– Global Learning Semesters now help masses of U.S. College college students studying at the University of Nicosia annually.
5. Because Cyprus is a bi-communal society divided through a United Nations demilitarized quarter; some human beings may think Cyprus is a risky area.- Cyprus is a democratically stable nation, a thriving member of the European Union, and has not experienced any violence related to the bi-communal status since 1974.
– An ideal learning laboratory for students, the bi-communal status of Cyprus is a great place for students to learn about international relations, active UN negotiations, and ethnic/national divisions in a stable, non-violent society.